Sunday, July 29, 2012

What to do with all that paper.

I despise clutter. And being a military family, we move quite a bit. We try not to hang on to things since it creates hardships while moving.  As a relatively new parent, I am slowly beginning to realize all of the paper a kid accumulates from doing crafts, doodles, and projects. My children are only two and four and I had to come up with something.

One idea that popped in my head is to take a picture of your child's projects and put it in a special file. Whether you keep it on a flash drive or a private photo album online, devote that file to pictures of your children's creations.

While this is adorable, what am I going to do with it after we switch out artwork?
Keep a file or flash drive for each child.

Periodically, over the years take a picture of each creation. Put it in the place you have set aside for those pictures. Only keep the creations that are special, and throw the rest of art work away. You could even put those special pieces in a box such as this one: Papercoterie.

(This idea might also work for trophies, and medals that the kids have received. I don't know what I would do, since my kids are not old enough to have participated in anything to receive medals/trophies. I do know that I hate clutter. I hate dusting. So I do not want to dust all that useless clutter. Most people end up throwing them in boxes anyway. 
yay! You played soccer!!


 Most likely, I would keep a first place one or so, but a participation one or something would go to Goodwill or something. I don't know.) 

Moving on.

When it feels to be an appropriate time, take all those pictures and make a photobook of your children's art (or achievements). Make a copy for you and your child. Give them a copy of the book and the keepsakes in the memory box. I think it would make a perfect graduation or wedding gift for your child.

This could also work for cards that have a special meaning or all the cards from a baby shower or wedding?


- Gail.

No comments:

Post a Comment